Arts History Update for early May 2014 by David Cummins
The University Public Art Committee is not entirely comprised of artists but there have been many on that Committee over the years. Jane Bell director of operations at the International Cultural Center, herself a former member of the Committee, decided to mount an exhibit of art by some of those artists, perhaps as a window for the viewer into the minds of folks who commission artists to create original works of public art on the campus. That campus art has won national acclaim. http://www.fpc.ttu.edu/fpcweb/publicart/publicartgallery.jsf
The exhibit is April 23 – June 13 and the opening reception is Thursday May 1, 2014 at 5:00 – 7:00 pm with a talk by Emily Wilkinson public art manager at 6:00 pm and she will show images of several stellar pieces of art on campus. International Cultural Center Auditorium at 600 Indiana Avenue. Free event.
The artists are Bonnie Aycock, John Chinn, Ken Dixon, Tina Fuentes, Lahib Jaddo, Pat Maines, Ken Pirtle, Barbara Barnhart Rallo, Ashton Thornhill and Sara Peso White. All or most of the artists will be present at the opening reception. Pirtle lives in Amarillo while the remainder reside in Lubbock. More information at 742-3667.
http://www.railstotrails.org/news/recurringfeatures/trailmonth/archives/0504.html This Rails to Trails Conservancy website features Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway. The state park is 3 miles outside Quitaque to the northwest while the Trailway, the former Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railway operating from 1928 as part of the Fort Worth and Denver Railway known as The Denver Road that opened in 1888, extends 64 miles from Estelline in the east on the rolling plains to the small community of South Plains in the west up on the high plains or caprock north east of Flyodada. The escarpment presented a challenge for the railroad company so Clarity Tunnel was built and hiking or bicycling or riding a horse into and through the tunnel is an adventure. I am glad to report having that adventure several years ago. The Park and Trailway are operated by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. http://www.winwaed.com/pics/caprock/caprock.shtml
A successor railroad company Burlington Northern SF abandoned the 64 mile trackage in 1989 and Texas Parks and Wildlife Department acquired it in 1993. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Worth_and_Denver_Railway The Denver Road was built from Fort Worth to Harrold [between Wichita Falls and Vernon] in 1881 but then the decision was made in 1885 to accommodate the panhandle region and extend the railroad to Amarillo and on to Texline into New Mexico Territory at Clayton where it could connect with the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe at Raton New Mexico Territory and thus take cargo and people to and from Denver. http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9D07E6DC123FE533A25752C1A9649D94649FD7CF&oref=slogin New York Times April 11, 1885 newspaper report. U.S. Highway 87 lays astride that trackage today.
Frontier Days are Friday and Saturday May 9-10 2014 at the park [includes re-enactments] and the fourth annual Texas Bison Festival is Saturday October 4, 2014 at nearby locations http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/caprock-canyons/bison-days for 2013 http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20130905a Foundation where donors may contribute is http://www.caprockpartnersfoundation.com/
Here is a video titled Saving the Southern Bison at Caprock Canyons State Park https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-RFmTFlUFw The bison introduced to the park as the official Texas Bison Herd are genetically related to the bison calves that Molly Goodnight and her husband Charles rescued and kept on the Goodnight Ranch east of Claude Texas and north of Palo Duro Canyon.
The Buddy Holly Center in Lubbock Texas is located at a former depot of the Fort Worth and Denver South Plains Railway 1801 Crickets Avenue [former Avenue G]. This was not the first depot or trackage into Lubbock. That distinction belongs to Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railway when it extended south from Amarillo to Lubbock in 1909, then a newly incorporated town of 1,000 people but within three years a town of 4,000 people. Transportation was key. http://www.lubbockcentennial.com/AJremembers/101208.shtml
A variety of adult classes in various art media are offered at the municipal Garden & Arts Center 4215 University Avenue, Lubbock this Summer from May 17 through August 18. http://www.mylubbock.us/departmental-websites/departments/garden-arts-center/classes-and-workshops Call to inquire or pick up a brochure phone 806-767-3724.
Of course art classes are available year round at LHUCA Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts 511 Avenue K downtown. http://lhuca.org/classes.html Lubbock Moonlight Arts Academy http://www.lubbockmoonlightmusicals.org/moonlightartsacademy.html now offers classes for both teens and adults in a variety of arts.
Paul McCartney is touring Out There and that tour will include Lubbock Texas on Saturday June 14, 2014 at United Spirit Arena on the Texas Tech campus http://www.paulmccartney.com/live/27468-out-there He is currently in South America April 19 at Montevideo Uruguay April 21-22 Santiago Chile April 25 Lima Peru and April 28 Quito Ecuador, then on to Japan and South Korea before beginning the United States leg of the tour. Non-transferable tickets include mementos by which to remember the event $250, $165, $89.50 and $59.50 http://www.ticketsage.com/_lubbock/pmc.asp and can be obtained through his website now by registered fans [free registration] and go on sale to the public on April 25 and probably will be sold out in hours. McCartney’s agent approached Lubbock because the star wants to see and be, if ever so briefly, in the city that produced Charles Hardin “Buddy Holly” Holley and the Crickets. Whatever was scheduled or not around June 14 at the arena was moved to accommodate an international icon.
Here is the BBC report of the day the music died in 1959 http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/3/newsid_2802000/2802541.stm We look back and are amazed at how much he accomplished by 22 years of age.
McCartney’s latest album is New (2013) $14.21 at Amazon.com
Twelfth Night, or What You Will (1602) is one of Shakespeare’s most musically-rich plays. Characters break into song, and their dialogue frequently references many popular tunes of the day. The Bard’s audience would have known these songs well, and “got the jokes”. Hopefully we will also. The play is being presented by the Texas Tech University Theater Department Thursday May 1 through Sunday May 4 at the Maedgen Theater 2812 18th Street with live music provided by members of the Texas Tech Early Music Ensemble from the School of Music. It’s always good to witness collaboration by academic units, especially in the performing arts disciplines. Thursday through Saturday evenings at 8:00 pm and Sunday afternoon at 2:00 pm $18 for tickets.
Heart-sick nobles, saucy servants and mistaken identities all collide in a delightful mix of the high and low in Shakespeare’s richest comedy about the things we do for love. In the words of Duke Orsino, “If music be the food of love, play on!”
William Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, or What You Will is a comedy about a cross-dressing, ship-wreck surviving, poetry-loving girl who finds herself at the center of a not-so-average love triangle.
Written between 1601 and 1602 (right around the same time Shakespeare wrote Hamlet and Troilus and Cressida), the play is most famous today for being a so-called “Transvestite Comedy” (which just means it’s a comedy with one or more cross-dressing characters). In Elizabethan London, all stage plays were performed by male actors who cross-dressed in order to play the parts of women. Twelfth Night is particularly provocative and interesting, since the role of its heroine, Viola, would have been played by a boy actor, who was cross-dressed as a female character, who cross-dresses as a boy.
The story line has inspired many remakes and adaptations including the popular teen flick She’s The Man (2006) starring Amanda Bynes. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454945/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Viola’s cross-dressing may be no big moral whoop for audiences today but, for late 16th century and early 17th century Puritans, it was a big no-no. Theater critics argued that cross-dressing was sinful, “wicked,” and “monstrous”. They argued that it promoted sexual deviance and turned women into hermaphrodites. Today Twelfth Night is one of the most popular and beloved of Shakespeare comedies perhaps because of its rebellious portrayal of gender ambiguity.
It was popular back in Shakespeare’s day too, but perhaps for different reasons. We know from 17th century law student John Manningham’s diary that Twelfth Night was performed at the Middle Temple (a London law school) on February 2, 1602. Check out what he had to say:
At our feast we had a play called “Twelfth Night, or What You Will,” much like “The Comedy of Errors” […] A good practice in it to make a Steward believe his Lady Widow was in love with him, by counterfeiting a letter […]
It’s interesting that Manningham’s diary entry focuses on the Malvolio sub-plot, which isn’t necessarily what contemporary readers think of when they reflect on the play. Manningham’s entry suggests that, at least for him, the play’s ridicule of the social-climbing Puritan figure, Malvolio, was the most interesting and entertaining part of the performance. Several decades later, King Charles I (b. 1600-1649) may have thought the same thing. In his copy of Shakespeare’s works, he crossed out the title Twelfth Night and wrote in Malvolio! as a replacement.
Of course Queen Elizabeth I sat on the throne when Twelfth Night was penned. We wonder what she thought of the play, if she ever saw it, that is. Critics aren’t sure. If you aren’t sure, then know that Shakespearean scholar and professor Bill Gelber is the director of this production and might tell us this and more. Try out a bit of high culture legitimacy presented with contemporary flair by talented young people.
For those who might wish to read the entire play before attending http://shakespeare.mit.edu/twelfth_night/full.html And here is the SparkNotes character analysis http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/twelfthnight/canalysis.html
Remembering German Western Writer Karl May at the National Ranching Heritage Center is presented free Friday May 2 from 6:00 – 10:00 pm 3121 4th Street. For more information call 806.742.0498 or e-mail email@example.com.
Spend some time learning about German writer Karl May, the impact of his writings, and German settlement in Texas. Planned around a new exhibition “Tall Tales of the Wild West: The Stories of Karl May,” visitors will learn about the German author May (1842 – 1912) and his connection to the Llano Estacado and German interest in our region. An additional exhibit will be on display at Hedwig’s Hill, one of the Proctor Park historic structures with a German history. Following the lectures, a movie based on one of Karl May’s books will be shown on the Campbell Patio south of the building. Light refreshments will be served.
Meredith McClain Texas Tech German professor, is writing a book about Karl May http://www.meredithmcclainphd.com/karl-may.php Here is more about the German connection with Lubbock http://www.meredithmcclainphd.com/umlaut-fall-1998–complete.pdf
A biography of John Updike is Adam Begley, Updike (Harper 2014) Amazon.com $22.22 Kindle $14.44 reviewed by Orham Pamuk, Updike At Rest: Adam Begley’s “Updike”, The New York Times Sunday Book Review, April 17, 2014.http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/books/review/adam-begleys-updike.html?_r=0
Updike the novelist was also a prolific short story writer, so good that Philip Roth called him “our second Hawthorne”. His collections of stories were published as Pigeon Feathers (1962) The Music School (1966) Museums and Women (1972) Problems (1979) Trust Me (1987) The Afterlife (1994) Licks of Love (2000) and My Father’s Tears (2009). John Updike: the Collected Stories (ed. Christopher Carduff, Library of America 2013 in two volumes at 1,872 pages) Amazon.com $44.87
Here is a 17 minute short film based on Updike’s short story A&P http://www.spike.com/video-clips/yuwo6y/a-p and a blog discussion of that story
From boyhood he drew, initially cartoons, and was a keen appreciator of art. He wrote three books about art Just Looking: Essays on Art (Alfred A. Knopf 1989) Texas Tech Library N71.U64 Still Looking: Essays on American Art (Alfred A. Knopf 2006) N6505.U64 Always Looking: Essays on Art (Alfred A. Knopf 2012) N71.U63
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Updike John Updike 1932-2009
NBA [National Basketball Association] Playoffs [professional male basketball] begin April 20, 2014
Season ended [82 games] with most wins as follows:
San Antonio 62, Oklahoma City 59, Los Angeles Clippers 57, Indiana 56, Miami [defending champion] 54, Portland 54, Houston 54
San Antonio Spurs earned home court advantage and open up against Dallas Mavericks for an old-fashioned Texas shootout near a corral, your television set on Fox Sports Southwest cable channel. First game April 20 won by Spurs 90-85.
Worst team during the season was Milwaukee Bucks 15 wins and 67 losses [a league record low for wins] into which new owners arrived April 17 after paying $550 million for the team. Those reckless spenders are Marc Lasry and Wesley Edens both billionaires so this is pin money. Lasry is a hedge fund manager and CEO of Avenue Capital Group while Edens is founder of Fortress, a private equity firm. Other poor teams were Philadelphia 76ers 19 wins, Orlando Magic 23 wins, and Utah Jazz 25 wins.
Cuming Museum (opened 1906) at 151 Walworth Road, London England [former Walworth Town Hall] suffered a fire on March 25, 2013. The bulk of the museum collection was unaffected and is in safe storage or displayed at various sites. Some items were recovered and are being cleaned and conserved. The intention is to reopen the museum in this very building after it is rebuilt. The museum served two purposes: (1) keeping the Cuming family [primarily Richard Cuming 1777-1870 and his son Henry Syer Cuming 1817-1902] art and artifact collection available to the public, and (2) serving as the museum for the history of the borough of Southwark. http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200162/the_cuming_museum Information on the family and the museum is at http://www.southwarkcollections.org.uk/code/eMuseum.asp?page=cuming_his
From London city center north of the Thames River, take Blackfriars Bridge which is Highway A201 south across the Thames into Southwark where it is called Blackfriars Road and travel to Elephant & Castle “turn around” and get on Highway A215 which is Walworth Road going south and get off at 151 two blocks south. If you consider the bridges over the Thames in London from east to west, they are Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Southwark Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Waterloo Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Lambeth Bridge and Vauxhall Bridge. Are you oriented now? http://www.timeout.com/london/museums/cuming-museum and this orientation aid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_and_Castle
University of the Arts London includes six colleges one of which is London College of Communication that is located on the west side of Elephant & Castle. http://www.arts.ac.uk/lcc/
Austin Osman Spare 1886-1956 was a socialist, pacifist, artist, magus/mystic and writer who served during The Great War in the Royal Army Medical Corps in France and Belgium. Thought to be a minor British artist, he is getting attention recently. Austin Osman Spare: Cockney Visionary, A Catalogue of Artworks (Jerusalem Press Limited 2010) was published for an exhibit Fallen Visionary at the Cuming Museum September 13 – November 14, 2010. Austin Osman Spare, The Book of Pleasure (Self-Love): The Psychology of Ecstasy (Co-operative Printing Society 1913 reprinted 1975 reprinted Jerusalem Press Limited 2011) Amazon.com paperback used $6.30 Kindle $3.99; ABE Books new print on demand is $9.42 incl s&h but better value is $10.89 new print on demand incl s&h that includes additional writings Automatic Drawings, Anathema of Zos, and Focus of Life. An even better value is to read all four writings online free at http://www.occult-underground.com/spare.html
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/42471072 Entrance to Yellow House Ranch in northern Hockley County on FM 597 that is 3.5 miles west of junction with FM 1490 which junction is the Oklahoma Flats Community. Easiest way to reach it is to drive north from Levelland Texas on US Highway 385 through Whitharral and turn left or west onto FM 597. Proceed west on FM 597 through the Oklahoma Flats Community to the entrance to Yellow House Ranch. On the Ranch is Yellow Lake [part in Hockley County and part in Lamb County], Illusion Lake, Bull Lake, Rattlesnake Lake and Devil’s Inkwell Spring [all in Lamb County], all fed by Yellow House Draw. The watershed extends northwest of Portales New Mexico. Abutting Yellow Lake is Las Casas Amarillas or the Yellow Houses which were caves carved by Indians long ago in the limestone cliffs and used as shelter. Below the cliffs were two springs called Yellow House Springs that the Indians used for a supply of fresh potable water. http://rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txhockle/yellow-house-ranch.htm
George Littlefield acquired Yellow House Ranch (1901) 312,175 acres in four counties and constructed a ranch headquarters building in the early 20th century at the Yellow House Springs site. The building burned and does not presently exist. The Ranch had been Yellow Houses division or part of the XIT spread before George Littlefield bought the southern part and continued to use the name Yellow House. In the late 19th century the Mackenzie Trail from Fort Griffin [Clear Fork of the Brazos River] to Fort Sumner New Mexico Territory [Pecos River] ran through this historic ranch land posting and supplying cavalry troops. Can’t we see in our minds the legendary Colonel Ranald Mackenzie leading a foray along the trail named for him? In the journals of the Coronado Expedition of 1541 these cliffs were described as Las Casas Amarillas.
On Friday April 25, 2014 at 10:30 am another Quanah Parker Trail Arrow will be installed by Charles A. Smith at the entrance to the historic Yellow House Ranch. http://www.quanahparkertrail.com/Quanah_Parker_Trail/index.html.html